3 Day Freediving Course in Oahu
$398 – (rental gear included)
$320 – students with their own gear
note: price includes boat charters on open water days
Thank you for your interest in taking a freediving course in oahu
Freediving is about inward power, discipline, and control. If you’ve always wanted to enter the underwater world quietly, on your own terms, staying as long as your breath allows, then freediving is for you. Taking the SSI Level I Freediving course in Oahu is your first step toward discovering why freediving is becoming a popular way to explore beneath the waves.
To enroll in a SSI Freediver course you must be at least 12 years old. You need adequate swimming skills and need to be in good physical health. No prior experience with snorkeling, skin diving or freediving is required.
The SSI Freediver course consists of three main phases:
- Knowledge development about freediving principles through independent study with the SSI Level I online learning module
- Confined water session to learn breathhold techniques as well as static and dynamic apnea. Goal – static apnea of 90 seconds and dynamic apnea of 25 metres/80 feet.
- Open water sessions to practice free immersion and constant weight freedives, plus proper buddy procedures. Goal – constant weight freedive to a maximum of 66ft.
Required student gear (provided in rental):
Mask, freedive fins, snorkel, wetsuit, weights & weight belt
- We provide top of the line OMER freediving gear and scuba wetsuits of 5/3mm
Freediving computer, rubber weight belt, free diving wetsuit
Provided by shop:
Safety signaling device, flotation device in open water, freedive target depth plate
(Depth gauge and Timing device available for additional $50)
What to Expect:
- Arrive by 4:30 pm at the Schofield Barracks Outdoor Recreation Building, 435 Ulrich Way, Schofield Barracks, 96857 for orientation, which should give an adequate amount of time to gain base access*, and pick up all rental materials at Outdoor Rec. If you have base access, just be at 435 Ulrich way at 5pm.
- *To gain base access it is required to have a valid drivers license, registration, safety, and insurance. You must enter through Lyman gate (not Foote gate which Google tells you to do).
- 5-6:30pm class section of course at Outdoor Recreation 435 Ulrich Way. ALL e-LEARNING MATERIAL MUST BE COMPLETED PRIOR TO THE START OF CLASS.
- 7-9pm Confined water section, of course, one quarter a mile away at the Schofield Barracks pool
- meet dive boat at approximately 1pm – check with instructor on Friday
- 1pm-4;30pm Open Water Dives at two locations. This is a combined charter with scuba divers and freedivers.
- meet at the boat prior to boat departure – this is our weekly dedicated free diving charter (no scuba). Location changes weekly and once you are a certified freediver you will be able to book this charter directly for fun and practice. Confirm time and location with instructor. We have dive boats on 3 sides of the island, we will be visiting on a rotating basis all the major wreck diving sites and interesting deep reefs. Freediving boat charters typically depart at 1pm and departure locations are Waianae Small Boat Harbor, Kewalo Basin (town) and Hawaii Kai Marina.
- conduct target dives up to 66ft with approximately 2.5 hours on dive site